Places to visit

Port Egmont Icon for Port Egmont

Port Egmont In 1766 Port Egmont on Saunders Island was chosed as the site for a British settlement, a naval garrison named Fort George and a settlement called Jason's Town. There was a safe natural harbour, fresh water and many nutritional plants. Today there are some remains of these original inhabitants - low stone walls of the settlement houses can clearly be seen and occasional artefacts are discovered.

A plaque explains the history of the settlement and close-by is an ammunition box containing a Union Flag which can be raised. The area is a short walk from today's main settlement.

Back

Marker for this feature