Top 5 Events to Attend
- The Raft Race takes place on New Year’s Day in Stanley, involving people from the local community including Mount Pleasant. Rafts are constructed in advance and take various shapes and sizes. Starting just to the east of the Public Jetty, rafters work hard to finish the course opposite the Narrows Bar for a well-earned drink and food. The event raises money for local charities.
- Christmas carols around the Whalebone Arch are sung every Christmas Eve. Musicians gather to play a selection of well-known Christmas carols with an open invitation to everyone to come along and sing. Words are provided! Should you be planning a visit for this time and can slip a simple instrument in your luggage, perhaps a recorder or a ukulele, you will be very warmly welcomed.
- Ram and Fleece Show: Head to West Falkland for this farming event, held every year at the end of December at Fox Bay. See the Champion Ram and best Falkland fleeces whilst enjoying food from the barbeque. The show is topped off with a prize-giving ceremony at which the Governor presides.
- The Horticultural Show is an amazing display of local produce including home-grown vegetables, soft fruits, cut flowers, jams & chutneys, cakes & biscuits. There is great competition, plenty on display and all to a high standard. Add-ons include the flower garden competition, vegetable garden competition and a Falklands’ bake-off. Look out for these events in Stanley in January and February each year.
- The Mid-Winter Swim is a chilly event for those here in June. Held as close as possible to mid-winter’s day, anyone willing runs into and out of the sea at Surf Bay to receive a “certificate of lunacy”, a T-shirt and raise money for local charities. Similar, smaller versions take place at other locations around the islands.